Help: Tools - Invoicing
TiMa IO has an inbuilt invoicing tool, allowing you to create invoices for your worked hours within a few simple clicks. Make sure you have created at least one Project and one Client before starting to create invoices.
Our Invoicing tool pulls together all the records that you have added to TiMa IO in a given time period and uses them to generate the invoice for you. All your Work Records are imported, along with Sales items, and the total money owed to you automatically calculated, saving you valuable time.
Generating your invoice
- Click on Add a new invoice.
- Select a Client from the list.
- Select a Project from the list.
- The optional third step offers to import Sales items from the Calendar (if you have added any), so you can follow the steps to do so, or simply click on ‘no’ to directly access the editor. If you skip this step, you can still add Sales items from within the Invoice editor. NB Work Records are added separately.
- The editor opens, and you can see imported items if any.
- Edit the headers of your invoice in the top left panel (‘Details’):
- Click on either Company header or Client header to edit these. The company header should be the name, address and contact details of your company. Client header should be the name and address of your client.
- A popup will open, enabling you to edit this information. These 2 fields can be fully formatted.
- The Load default button on the popup allows you to load default text from the system. Edit your company header in your Options.
- Loading the Client default will pull the information you have set up in the Clients page.
- Invoice details (e.g. invoice date) can be edited by clicking on the 'eye' toggle button of the Details panel. If you have chosen the wrong Client or Project, you can change them via the Details panel toggle. You will then need to check and / or amend the Client header, Invoice number, Invoice Free Text etc.
- The Invoice number is made up of four parts:
- The overall invoice number, which in French Law must be consecutive for each of all your invoices, regardless of client or project.
- Client prefix if any.
- Client specific consecutive invoice number.
- Client suffix if any.
- The Invoice number is made up of four parts:
- Invoice Free Text and Company Text are similar to the Invoice headers explained above, but are shown under the summary on the invoice. The Free Text is the one where you may load Client default invoice text (see Clients). The Company Text is your company’s default text (this cannot yet be edited at the moment, but will be available under your ‘options’ menu), e.g. include payment details.
- Options and Attachments: tick the box to include the list of Work Records with notes and details if you require these on your invoice. They will be added as an automatic attachment for each Project you have imported records for. Attachments can be added once you have saved your invoice a first time at least, and allow you if required to attach uploaded PDF documents. The list of attachments can be managed at the bottom of the editor.
- Items: there are 2 ways of adding items:
- Importing items from the Calendar: Important: This is not importing Work Records, but only sold items previously added to the Calendar’s sidebar bottom panel. Follow the steps of the wizard to import items you have previously added to the Calendar. You may have already done this for some items when creating your invoice. This feature will be further enhanced and improved in future.
- Adding items using the ‘plus’ sign button:
- Click on the ‘plus’ sign button
- If you have Products loaded in your account, select one to use these product details or enter new product details (these will not be saved in your Products list, but indicated on this invoice only).
- To add Work Records: click on the ‘Load from Work Register’ button. On the new popup, select the Project you need to import Records from, and the date range you require. Click on ‘Load’ to finish. The system will look up the information in the database, and fill the Item form automatically for you. If you have provided an hourly rate on the Project details (See Creating a Project), then the total should be calculated automatically.
- Click on Edit/add item, to add the item to the invoice.
- Items can be edited or removed by clicking on the item row.
- Save your invoice with the button at the top of the editor. You will then be taken back to the list of invoices.
- You can preview the invoice, and if you are happy with it, you need to set it to complete by clicking on the status icon, to the left of the invoice date. This means you should no longer edit the invoice.
We then recommend you save your invoice as a PDF document: TiMa IO allows you to keep your documents on the server, but we also recommend you download a copy for your own record. Follow these steps to save the PDF document:
- Go to the invoice in edit mode
- Click on the PDF button next to the Save button
- Click on Save PDF copy to automatically save your current invoice as a PDF on the server. You may manage the available folders in ‘My Files’ which you find under your user menu. If you already saved or uploaded a PDF version on the server, you can click on the browse button to select a document in your files, and assign it as the PDF copy of your invoice.
- Follow the steps of the new ‘save as’ popup and then click on ‘Edit’ button to complete the procedure.
- Save your invoice, to make sure the PDF is linked to the invoice.